Friday, June 14, 2002

Thank God for Koreans

Friday, June 14, 2002
10:55 AM
Davis


Final Score: US- 1 Poland- 3
Where do I even start? I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep here, thanks to the scheduling of the US game and to my early ass biomechanics final that I just finished not too long ago. Sometimes I really do think there aren't enough hours in the day. But I shall trudge on to give anyone who cares my bizillions of thoughts on the game.

So the studying ceased at 4:15 AM when ESPN started its live broadcast of the US-Poland game. 5 minutes into the game and we're down 2 goals?? What's going on here? The final score should have been 3-2, but stupid ref took Donovan's goal away in the opening minutes. I saw no foul there. I think the ref's getting scrilla under the table from the Portugal or Poland bench.


Dear God, thank you for South Korea's Park Si-jung and again for Brad Friedel, love Tiff.

"The U.S. is in, and that's all that matters, but man was that ugly. Was Freddy Kreuger in the house, because that was a nightmare start for the States."
--World Cup 2Night commentator
The U.S. better get ready to kiss some major Korean ass for the ticket into the 2nd round. Thanks to Korea beating Portugal 1-0, the U.S. stayed in 2nd place and advanced on. But now we're up against Mexico, one of the best and biggest rivals of the U.S. in the CONCACAF. Did anyone catch that feature on the history behind the U.S.-Mexico rivalry on Sportscenter last weekend? Talk about brutal. At this point though, the U.S. needs another ass-whoopin for their poor playing today. Arena better have something up his sleeve and work some magic if he wants his team to make it any further. Hate to be pessimistic, but I don't think they'll be able to squeak past Mexico, considering Mexico didn't lose any of their opening round games.

And can someone tell me what exactly happened to Old Man Agoos. He just went down all of a sudden and next thing we know, he's being carried off the field. I thought I heard an announcer say someone in the stands threw something at him and that's how he got hurt. No way. He should have been taken out a long time ago anyway, back in the early part of the 2nd half of the Portugal game.


I *heart* Donovan

The only highlight I could find in the game was Landon Donovan's persistence and determination throughout the match. Sweet vengence it was when he scored that beautiful goal in the last few minutes of regulation. After getting that early header taken away from him and getting punked by the Poles (did anyone else notice how much they were singling him out?), he still stayed in it and scored the U.S.'s lone goal. And even after the goal, he tried to get his team fired up to get some kind of last minute scoring run together. That's exactly the kind of attitude I like to see in our players. Go Donovan.

I just realized the next game is on Sunday night, the same night as my graduation dinner. I say we eat, schmooze, then head over to my place to watch the game. I realize people probably have work the next morning, but anyone willing to make the sacrifice or use up one of them sick days, come on over.

Hey Ed, you said you'd be up to catch the game. I wanna hear your thoughts. And sorry to everyone who isn't following soccer that this entry had to be solely on World Cup action. But the Cup's where it's at.

Until Sunday,
~the Taft

P.S. I really want one of those Landon Donovan bobblehead dolls now (to put right next to my JC Chasez doll. hee hee). Anyone down to catch a San Jose Earthquakes game with me when Donovan finishes up at the Cup and heads back to the Bay to help the Quakes defend their MLS title??
**http://www.majorleaguesoccer.com/schedules/sj.html**