Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Landon Donovan, will you marry me?

Tuesday, June 18, 2002
2:08AM
South San Francisco

Holy cow we're in the quarterfinals against Germany!! How did we get...? What the..? We're not supposed to be here, but we are. And what a damn great place it is to be. But first off, I would like to apologize to the US team for expressing my doubts in your abilites in my previous blog. But cmon, honestly how could I not have been concerned after that poor showing against Poland. But I am back in the right mindset now and it will never ever happen again. There is no question, you WILL beat Germany. As Coach Bombay and the Mighty Ducks once said, "USA!! All the way!!"

Holy cow, a shutout against Mexico, who would have thought it. Not me, especially after seeing Arena's starting 11. Was I the only going, "Where are Mathis and Beasley?" at the start of the game? But kudos to Arena for his brilliant coaching tactics. It only means that Beasley and Mathis will be even more resfreshed and ready to go against Germany, along with Hejduk. Mexico had possession of the ball for most of the game, yet once again the US did a fine job of making the most of limited opportunities, just as they'd been doing all Cup long.

Holy cow Landon Donovan. I still can't believe the talent behind this kid. If anyone's gonna get this country excited about football (let's catch up with the rest of the world and start calling this sport by its proper name folks), it's 20-year old Donovan. 2 goals in his first World Cup (or 2 and 1/2, if you count that one against Portugal. or make that 3 and 1/2 if you count the goal taken away against Poland). Not too shabby. That beautiful header in the 2nd half sealed the US's spot in the quarterfinals. The marriage proposal still stands.

People, all I have to say is set your alarm clocks for 4:30AM on Friday morning and DO NOT MISS THIS GAME! So go to bed extra early Thursday night and rise and shine for US soccer's most important game in history. I know Ed, Nick and I will be up, so if we have to, you WILL be receiving an early morning wake up call from one of us, yelling GOOOAALLLL in your ear when the US scores.

your #1 US football fan,
~Laffy Tafty

p.s. A big hug and thanks to all of you who made it to my dinner. It was so wonderful seeing you guys again. And of course, I have to pinpoint Phil out and thank him for driving all the way up to Davis for my graduation. What a pal. :-)
p.p.s. Last soccer note (of the night that is): I hope the US wears their white jerseys on Friday. Anyone else notice that every time they wear white, they play fantastic and either win or tie? Or it could just be me and my own superstitions about uniforms.