Wednesday, June 26, 2002

It's gettin hot in here

Wednesday, June 26, 2002
12:38AM
Davis

Damn, we hit the high 90s today up here. At 9AM this morning, I was already sweating as I got ready for class. Then biked from shade to shade to avoid getting heat stroke. I got a mild case of heat stroke my freshman year before a lacrosse game. We were going through warmups before the game and there was no shade to be found and the sun was beating down hard on us. I pushed myself too much and almost passed out. Not fun. So be careful in the sun, kids. The weather people say tt's only gonna get worse and head up towards the 100s in the next few days. Fan-friggin-tastic. Summer in Davis is kinda weird. This town keels over when all the students leave. But then it's invaded by all these high school kids. Right now all the volleyball girls are out here, with their short ass biker shorts and knee pads, for some big tournament Davis hosts every summer. When they leave, in come the cheerleaders, with their curly haired ponytails and glitter, for cheer camp. Oh dear.

**Sole soccer thought of the night:**
I like the little chant song thingy that the Korean fans sing during the games. It's very uplifting. Too bad they got the boot. Damn Germans. You know how Seinfeld always sneered when he said "Newman." That's what I kept doing when the German goalie kept making a save. With fists clenched, I sneered, "Kahn, you bastard."

**Let's change gears and get into some music**
1-That Amerie song "Why Don't We Fall In Love" is tight. Same goes for N.O.R.E.'s latest. Good beats, good times.
2-That Avril girl's song "Complicated" is catchy, but the video sucks. She looks too innocent-teeny bopperish to be looking like she came off a sum41 video shoot. The video doesn't go with the song at all. I hate when artists do that.
3-I went into Borders yesterday just to browse around and ended up spending two hours in there. I came in thinking Ashanti's cd would be good, Pink's would suck. After almost an hour at the listening station, I walked out the store disappointed in Ashanti's debut (the only good songs being the three singles on the radio now) and annoyingly impressed by Pink's efforts. I couldn't believe how many decent tracks there were on Pink's cd. But I refuse to buy it because she annoys the shit outta me. So if anyone's got it, can I burn it off ya?
4-After Borders, I mozied on over to the used cd store in town and walked out with two new cds for my collection. Hey Regan, I followed your advice that you gave me a way way long time ago (you probably don't remember) when I asked your suggestions on some decent underground hip hop groups. People Under the Stairs' disc Question in the Form of an Answer popped out at me and I remembered you had mentioned them and so had my cousin. So I popped it in the cd player at the store to check it out and got sucked in immediately. Went through all 22 tracks. The other cd I walked out with: Jurassic 5's Quality Control. Needless to say, I was very happy with my selections when I walked out the door and still am. Money well spent. Hey Regan, you'd be surprised at the hip hop selection they've got out here in Davis. You wouldn't think they'd have much, but it's quite impressive.

Don't forget to check out MTV's new show "Sorority Life," that's based here in little ol' Davis. It's some funny shit. I could care less about the sorority. I just like seeing them go around town and watching to see if anyone I know was caught on camera. I still don't understand how the Greek system and rushing and all that crap works. How much would you guys have paid me to just go rush for the hell of it and pretend I'm Jewish, just to get on camera? Damn it, why do all the brilliant ideas hit me late.

hasta luego,
~tafty