Monday, July 22, 2002

Go MLS.

Monday, July 22, 2002
7:15 PM
Davis

Wow, seems like lots have been going on with everyone these days. Makes me a little homesick, but I'm glad I still get to hear what goes on with you all. As for Ed's soiree, I am sad to say that I will not be in attendance. Again. I think Ed keeps picking dates that he knows I can't make as a way to keep me away from his house. I'll be there in spirit (hey t-lam, be sure to take a nice big shot of real vodka for me okay) and I'll miss you all sorely as I'm running around Tahoe playing some lacrosse (where I will be incorporating some new soccer skills to my game, such as slide tackling and ripping my shirt off after scoring a goal).

Speaking of soccer (and you thought all the soccer comments were gonna end way back when Germany gave U.S. the boot. Ha, think again!), I had the fortunate privilege of watching my second MLS game this season as the Earthquakes played the Dallas Burn in Spartan Stadium on Saturday. And I am now 2 for 2 in watching a Quakes game where Donovan scores and yes, rips his shirt off (sidenote: Since Donovan's return to MLS play after the Cup, he's scored 2 goals, both in games where I was in attendance. Yup, I knew you'd see the connection there too). Saddest thing I saw during the game: a little 5-year old boy getting smacked in the head by a ball that a Burn player kicked into the stands. And he didn't even say sorry to the kid. Bastard. Bring a tear to your eye moment after the game: Eddie Robinson, the Earthquakes player who was guarding that bastard Burn player, ran over to the boy in the stands the minute the game ended to see if the kid was okay. The look of concern on his face was absolutely priceless. So how did I end another great day of MLS fun (the Quakes clobbered the Burn 4-0 by the way)? By getting Landon Donovan's autograph, that's how. Thank you, thank you very much.

~the Taft
p.s. how could sportmart not carry any baseball jerseys, especially considering baseball's still in season and all? Last I checked, the Big 5 up here in Davis had tons. Shall I contribute to the jersey craftsmanship workshop and see if they still have a bunch of ADULT sized jerseys in stock (again Nick, Jeff, and Anup, no the girls will not be wearing youth boys small jerseys) and snatch them up if they do?