Thursday, September 05, 2002

No cable, no fun.

Thursday, September 5, 2002
2:47 PM
Davis


Wow, just one day without cable and I feel like I've missed out on so many things (my roommate and I are still in the process of changing all our bills, including our cable service, to our brand spankin new dogless apartment). Sadly, I couldn't watch American Idol last night because the jankity tv wouldn't pick up that one channel that it was on. We got everything else BUT fox. Bloody hell. I was going to wait until I got home this weekend to watch it because thankfully, my cousin is a die-hard watcher and taped it. But of course, since I have the luck of a one-leaf clover, I ended up waking up this morning to the radio, where the dj announced the winner for me and spoiled the surprise. Bloody effin hell.

I also missed out on this little USA basketball team losing to Argentina thing. What's going on here? From what I've read on ESPN.com (yes, life without cable has forced me to read about games instead of simply flicking it on to SportsCenter. Note to self: call cable guy), it wasn't the prettiest of games. How sad. No really, that's so sad because it just confirms all that I loathe about where professional basketball continues to go. And I read that the game was played before a sparse crowd of about 5200? Where is everyone? I feel like the tides are changing here. People give the MLS (that's Major League Soccer, for those of you who still haven't caught on) so much shit because attendance figures aren't in the twenty or thirty thousands. But if 3rd grade math serves me correct, 12,000, which is the average attendance figure for MLS games, is greater than 5,200. So that put a little smirk on my face. And I realize in saying this, I've just opened the floodgates for some of the guys to start baggin on me just because I made a little critical remark against their beloved basketball. Bring it. :-)

Damn, I just realized what else I'll be missing out on tonight without my beloved cable: 1) the US Open match between Sampras and Roddick and 2) the MLS game between the MetroStars and the Burn (it's a tight race for the final playoff spots in the league. Hoping Metros lose only because I want the Revs to come through and pull off a 'worst to first' like the Quakes did last year. Not that any of you care, but I just had to get all that soccer jibberish off my chest). Does anyone know how to hook me up with some illegal cable? Anyone?

Only 7 days left before my big term paper is due, so I better get crackin. Hey maybe this cable thing is actually a good thing, cause then I could focus on my paper. On second thought....nehhh. No cable = no fun, for real.

Until next time,
~TAFT