Wednesday, December 15, 2004

13 minutes, 22 seconds

This page has gotten no love for the longest time...unbelievable! I might as well end the dry spell right now.
I was given a homework assignment and was asked to post it on this page. So Taft and Nick, here is my research paper. Sorry, it's two days overdue but I'm not exactly sure how eager you guys were to have it turned it on time. And you thought I wouldn't do it.
13 minutes and 22 seconds. What significance does that have? Many would feel like that is a meaningless piece of time, but it is a time that will stick with me forever. Not only did it cap off an improbable prediction, but it also marked a time where a connection was made.

Let's rewind. The Scene: USF's War Memorial Gym this past friday December 10. The night started off with Taft and me attending the UC Davis vs. St. Joe's game. Taft and I had to support our alma mater and our beloved Aggies. Unfortunanely, the Ags got blitz in the second half and got blown out. Nick and T-lam decide to join us for the 2nd game being that it was Nick's USF Dons vs. Longwood University (Farmville, VA). This is where it gets very interesting.
Little-known Longwood was clearly overmatched even in warm-ups. As Nick pointed out to me, longwood was only making 50% of their lay-ups in warm-ups. And when you are only making half your lay-ups before the game starts, then you're in for a long night. So of course Nick and I were blurting out predictions as to what the halftime score was gonna be. The game starts off with USF going on a major run and Longwood in a major drought. With a little under 16 minutes left in the first half, Nick decides to ask me when I thought Longwood would score again being that they were turning the ball over left and right and missing all their shots. I think about it, and lo and behold, 13:22 comes to my head!
Fast forward to 13:45. Longwood still hasn't hit a shot and the Dons have just grabbed a rebound. I'm like oh no! The Dons are up by so much and now they're deciding to go into their halfcourt offense. My eyes are on the clock...13:45...13:40...13:35...13:30. And then it happens, Longwood gets a steal and dribbles the ball up frantically. Tick Tick Tick. I got one eye on the clock and one eye on the floor. They pass the ball into their big guy (emphasis on big) and with his back to the basket he pulls off a drop step with 13:23. He turns around and makes a layup at yes, 13:22! Unbelievable! The twoTiffs, Nick, and I could only laugh.
And the big guy's name who made the shot? Leland Beale. He's one of those guys who looks like he does not belong on the b-ball floor. He chugs down the court but has great stamina. I had to root for him the rest of the night. He ends up leading his team in scoring with 11 points in a 30+ point blowout.


Leland Beale #44
Forward
6-8  250
Sophomore
Poquoson, Va. / Oak Ridge (N.C.) Military Academy


Beale, a 6'8" 250 pound forward-center from Piquosan, VA was better known for his football skills. However, he decided to attend Longwood's b-ball program, which is in a 4 year transition period from D-II to D-I, much like UC Davis. An excerpt from his head coach, Mike Gillian, in their media guide best describes this athlete.
“Leland is a big guy who has very good basketball skills and is a fine athlete for his size,” explained Gillian. “He has made tremendous strides physically and in adjusting to the college game over the course of the last year.”
Unfortunately, his bio is not updated/posted. But in doing my research, I came across a web page for Bob Gibbons, a well known journalist who has an eye for high school b-ball talent. In 2002, Gibbons ranked Beale a "Super Sleeper" at the power forward position. And a guy that big must sleep very well.
In what was not much a of b-ball game, there is great solace rooting for the underdog. Pulling for players who is giving his all (as well as shedding pounds at the same time). You can't beat that.
And ironically, how many minutes did Beale play that night? 13 minutes and 22 seconds.


Jeff